Chronicles of my insanity

Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Good, Swift Kick

Sometimes you just need a good, swift kick in the arse to get you going. I know this about myself.  I know I have good intentions and fail on the execution.  Alot. 

Like on Friday.  I got up and thought, "I am going on a run at lunch time. So I won't shower this morning.  I'll put on my sports bra and running shirt, and be ready to go when I get a break from work."  Around 6pm, I look up from my computer, all stinky from lack of showering, all chaffed from wearing spandex all day, and all stiff from not making it out the door.  Luckily, I look and smelled like I had exercised, so Chris never knew the difference. . .

When I signed up a month ago for another round of Team in Training to train for the Wildflower Half Ironman triathlon, I was well aware this type of day would come.  It always does.   The only way to combat this kind of day, is to sign yourself up for a team that has scheduled trainings where your friends expect you to be there.   And because I am not beyond letting my friends down from time to time (sorry guys),  I have to take the extra measure of publicly committing to all of my friends and family that I will train and fundraise for this event.  There is nothing like public shame to motivate.

And now you can help with the swift kick and the public shaming, by helping me with my fundraising efforts for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society.    Please won't you consider a tax-deductible donation to help find a cure for blood cancers?  At least 75% of your donation goes directly to patient services and research to find a cure for  diseases that an estimated 957,902 people in the United States are living with, or are in remission from. Every four minutes, someone new is diagnosed with blood cancer. Every 10 minutes, someone dies.

These statistics are always staggering to me every time I read them.  And recently, I just learned that a friend's sister-in-law was diagnosed with an advanced case of non-hodgkin's lymphona.  So many people I know are affected by these diseases.  It's hard to ignore it.   It's hard to not do something about it.  It's kind of like a swift kick.

So wind up that foot, and give me a swift kick, won't you? 

No comments: