Chronicles of my insanity

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Preparing for the Big Day

Of course I am referring to the Royal Wedding.   I am sure Kate is nervous Nellie as she is about to get married in front of the world, and lay claim to some kick ass jewelry and a new title.

On the triathlon front, I too, am a bit of a nervous Nellie.  In honor of Kate and Will, I'm thinking I, too,need to follow some traditions to ensure a good race. So with me I will have:
  • Something old:  That would be me.  In the old lady wave, starting at 9:20am.  2nd to last.  Likely to be the last to finish on our team.  
  • Something new: Technically, I should have nothing new on race day.  But I have a new wetsuit (swum in 2 times) and hope it brings me fast swimming speed and no rashes in unsightly places.
  • Something borrowed: Energy from my team, our honorees, and my friends who are battling cancer.  To quote Steve Perry, "You're My Inspiration."
  • Something blue: My watch is blue.

A partial Team Awesome in Paradise!
In perhaps a more fruitful approach to preparation, my friend Diana, who is professor of exercise and sports, had me write down two lists.  One with all of my fears.  And one list of the accomplishments I've done that will give me confidence on race day.  One is decidedly longer than the other.   But the idea is to focus on the accomplishments and all the work I've done to get to the race, which should help calm me down.


Fears:
  • Getting the Swim Panic.  (I have had this in every race to date.  This involves freaking out, being unable to breath, thinking I can't swim, rolling on my back and floating, and then a long hard talk with myself.  Then pulling it together and finishing the swim.  Every damn race.)
  • Letting the wind defeat me emotionally.
  • Blowing out my legs on the bike.
  • Getting a mechanical issue I cannot fix myself (that would be fixing a flat.  And fixing a flat.)
  • Not finishing the bike fast enough and getting pulled off the course.
  • Having stomach issues on the run.
  • Being the last one to finish on my team, or the race for that matter.  A distinct possibility for a slow poke like me.
  • Getting overheated, dehydrated, bonking, etc.
  • Practice Triathlon 
  • And of course your everyday, general bike crashing fears.
Positive things:
  • I completed a half-ironman distance, a bike century and a marathon last year.  I can endure long events.
  • I've run a lot of hills this season and have felt mostly good on the runs.  My last 13 miler felt great.
  • During training weekend, I rode the course and completed it.  (albeit it was very hard.  but this is a positive stuff list, so scratch this parenthetical comment) I know what to expect and when.
  • My nutrition has generally worked out well this training season.  No serious bonking.
  • I have pretty pink running shoes.
Oh, and the most important!  I am racing to save lives.  I've raised $3000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, which was my personal goal. But there's still work to be done.  If you would like to support me, please do contribute to my fundraising effort. Thanks to everyone who has helped me all season.  I will calling upon you in my dark times on the course!  Xoxoxo.

No comments: