Chronicles of my insanity

Friday, March 9, 2012

Parallel Journey

So here we are about to embark upon our 6th Death Ride training ride this season.  One of the big challenges (aside from the obvious) is figuring out my nutrition on these rides.  We are out there for about 5+ hours right now so making sure I am getting enough calories into me is important to avoid running out of energy.  Many of the energy foods available are sweet -- too sweet for me.  Of course the sugar is what is partially giving you energy.  But I've been finding that I max out on sweet fairly early and just don't eat because it's unappealing.  So now I'm on parallel quest to the Death Ride to create my own savory energy type bar.  Also store bought energy bars add up in price when you're as hungry as we are.  Anyhoo. . .

Attempt #1:  Thai-inspired Energy Bar
As a preface, I have lots of other ideas that are probably better than this, but I was too lazy to go to the store.  So this is made solely from what is available in my pantry.  I realize these sound potentially disgusting, but I love fishy and peanuty flavors.  So maybe not for everyone. 

Dry Stuff
  • 1.5 cups of oats
  • 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Pumpkin Seeds
  • Peanuts
  • White pepper
  • Dried ginger
  • Dried shallots
  • Sesame Seeds
  • Furikake

Wet Stuff
  • Peanut Butter
  • Molasses
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Fish Sauce
  • Egg
Mix dry stuff and wet stuff separately.  Combine well.  Press in to greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 for 20 min or so.  Cut.  Bake at 250 for 15 more min.

Revision Ideas:
  • Add in brown rice of some sort (puffed or cooked).  Less wheat flour.
  • Some preserved lime or some such citrus.
  • Maybe add in some dried cuttle fish for a bit more protein.  Maybe weird?
  • Coconut cream
Other Ideas:
  • Brown rice, egg, bacon   (based on this http://feedzonecookbook.com/2012/01/05/how-to-make-and-wrap-allen-lims-rice-cakes/ )
  • Fried Rice  ideas . . .dried veggies, egg, ginger, green onion, soy sauce and some sort of rice

No comments: