Chronicles of my insanity

Monday, May 14, 2012

Children's Book Part 2

Up up up!
More long rides and more chapter titles for my children's book:

[Previous chapters:
  • The Sorting Ride
  • A Llama with a Sweater
  • Fish Granola
  • Rainy Day Death
  • Let's Design a Jersey!
  • Popsicle Angel
  • My Angry, Angry Ass]
New Chapters:
  • My Longest Ride Ever (Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4)
  • The Sad Tale of No Beer
  • Making Friends with Tunitas 
  • A Confusing Day: Jim and Sam Wear the Same Jersey
The chapters themselves are HI-larious as I write them in my head. Perhaps one day I'll remember enough of one to write it down.


Refueling with Chris at GPC

Anyhow, the last few weeks has been busy and momentous on the training front. Two weeks ago we completed the Grizzly Peak Century.  102 miles and 8500' of climbing all mostly on familiar territory.  It was like stringing 4 rides I've done together into one long, long day.  Our ride group did well and kept a good pace.  12.5 mph on average, which is pretty good for me.  This has helped me think through my timing of the Death Ride event. I've had many concerns about being too slow and not meeting the cut offs, but knowing that I can average this pace makes me realize it is actually doable.   I still have some doubts as to whether we can add 30 more miles and 7000' more feet of climbing, but we'll see how it goes.

Another nice milestone was that I hit 42mph on a decent, which wasn't even terrifying.  I'm definitely making progress on both my descending and climbing.  One of my old coaches from my first bike team two years ago was riding with us for a while.  He came up to me and told me I looked very comfortable on my bike, which at the time, seem ridiculous --- because there's nothing comfortable about sitting on a saddle for 8+ hours.  But his kind point was well received after I got off the bike.  I have made a lot of progress since he saw me last and definitely feel more adept as a cyclist.

Stage Road, one of my favorite roads!
And this past weekend we did an amazing ride.  Maybe one of my favorites of the season.  93 miles and 8500+ feet as well.  We revisited two hills we had done earlier in the seasons - Page Mill Road and Tunitas Creek.  The first time on both of them was terribly humbling.  But this time, it wasn't so bad.  Boosted my confidence quite a bit.  I actually really enjoyed the 8 mile climb up Tunitas.  Felt strong, managed to enjoy the amazing Redwood forests, and kept a nice steady pace to the top.   We've got 2 months left in our training and it was really nice to measure my accomplishments on the training front.

And on the fundraising front, I'm doing very well!  I've hit $3000 ($2000 more for my goal) for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and surpassed my goal for Barb's Race and the Vineman Charities.

It's amazing what one can accomplish in a few short months.  Thanks to everyone who has kept me going so far.  2 more months to go!

No comments: