Chronicles of my insanity

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Self Perceptions Gone Awry

It has been a busy few months with training and work, so my entries are not as frequent as I would like.  But here's to a nice sunny Sunday of the sofa to catch up.

So trailing running is not quite what I had expected.  Or perhaps a better way to put it is that being a trail runner is not quite what I had expected. 

The trails, the routes, and landscape -- those are exactly what I expected.  Beautiful, breathtaking, steep, varied and inspiring.  There have been so many trails that I've never been on in my 13 year in the Bay area, so it has been an absolute treat to discover new gorgeous places in my home town.  I am, again, reminded of how lucky we are to live where we do.  

Yesterday, we ran from Rodeo Beach.  The fog was thick and hung heavily around the coast.  I have hiked around there a bit in the past, and mostly I've just been inspired by the views you have down to the Bay.  But yesterday, the whole world was shrouded in wet, misty fog.  The kind where fairies might come out to greet you. You couldn't enjoy the typical grand vistas,  so you had to enjoy what was closer in.  And at this time of year, it was bright, beautiful, dancing wildflowers!  Such a treat!

I also expected trailing running to be hard.  And so far, it has not disappointed.  Here's the profile of the half marathon race we did yesterday (my first trail race this season!)



When I did the Death Ride, our average ratio of climbing to mileage was 100 foot per mile.  That is a long, good, tough ride.  But here I am on my little size 8 feet, with no aid of a simple machine, running 2,300' over 13.1 miles.  See that spot at mile 12 that goes straight up on the profile?  Well, it does actually go straight up.  The photo perspective does not do this hill justice.   I am facing the wrong way on the trail for two reasons:  a)  So that photo would not be of my backside, and b) because walking up the hill backwards was the only way I could give my muscles some relief and get myself up the darn thing. Thanks to Eileen and Juliette for keeping me going!

Now being a trail runner is a different thing all together.  In my head, I would be running up the hills with strength.  My body would be tired and achy but as it had been when I was training for road running races.  My pants would get loose again as the always do when I train for these types of endurance events.   I would gain agility and grace as my core got stronger and I learned to run down hills.

Granted, in my head, I also become 5'10, leggy, and incredibly fast gazelle, which I realize is perhaps just a touch unrealistic.  But the rest of it, seemed like reasonable assumptions to make.  

The reality, however, seems to be like this:
  • I walk alot.  I knew that many trail runners will walk steep, long hills to save their legs, especially when doing the ultra distances.  But I seem to walk way more than I expected.  I'm sure as I get stronger, I will walk less.  But for now, it sometimes just feels like fast hiking and I'm a bit disillusioned.  Part of this is due to my knee injury and my healing process, and part of this is that it's just plain hard!
  • My body hurts in weird places.  The balls of my feet and my big toe ache alot.  One tiny spot under my right hip is killing me. I have weird chaffing from my knee brace.  I get all itchy just thinking about the possibility of having run through poison oak (of which there is a lot).
  • My metabolism has definitely kicked in, but my pants are not loose.  Building up a lot of muscle in my legs and glutes.  When doing the Death Ride, I mostly just got more muscle definition, but running seems to make me legs bigger (and stronger!)
  • I continue to be a klutz going down hills.  I am getting faster, but I feel like a toddler most days, unstable and likely to go down at any minute.  And when I do, I'm sure I will break out into tears.
But in reflecting back on my various endurance endeavors, I realize the disillusionment is just a mental phase of training.  Even though I know things will be heard, I sometimes have a difficult time coming to terms with this feeling -- the feeling that I'm in over my head or I'm just a generally sucky athlete.   This is the period where I remember why I always do these things with Team in Training.  Because it's not just about me, it's about helping the good folks at the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society find a cure for cancers.

As a good reminder, one of our honored teammates mom sent me a video that Juan Carlos (now 13) and his mom made.  This kid is amazing, and I am hoping that our fundraising efforts will make his dreams of a cancer free world come true very soon.



Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the next phase of training -- one where I start to see good progress and begin to feel more confident about it all.  I'll keep you posted!


In the mean time, if you'd like to help support me in my cause and Juan Carlos's cause of finding a cure for blood cancers, please donate to my fundraising page.  I'm just about $600 shy of my goal of raising $3000!  Can you help?



With much love and gratitude, 
Melissa












No comments: