Chronicles of my insanity

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Inspirations all around

Some days, like yesterday, I feel so insignificant in this world.  Not in a low-self esteem sort of way, but rather that the world is greater, grander, and more challenging than my little bubble -- and I find it refreshing, humbling, and wonderful.


Our team did a lovely 30 mile ride up in Nicaso, which is about 30 miles north of San Francisco.  We rode to Point Reyes Station and had amazing views of Tomales Bay.  These places always make me thankful to live in Northern California and thankful to be able to enjoy them on my bike.

We worked on pacelining today, which was a whole new adventure for someone like me who has trouble walking straight, let alone riding straight.  But it definitely made a difference as we rode back in some strong headwinds.

On the ride, I learned about one of our honorees who battled cancer for some time. His treatments sounded terrible and painful.  But today he is 3 years post treatments and on his bike riding with us. I also chatted with one of our participants who, along with her husband, are training in honor of their Pops who passed away earlier this year from lymphoma.  In their journey to get to our team, they also got in shape, lost 167 lbs combine, and endured what sounded like terrible back surgery where they were not sure she would ever walk again -- all this year. Then she learned to walk again (wow).  They got some bikes, learned to ride, and joined the team.  They also live fairly far away and make it to practically every training with gigantic smiles on their faces.  Also, they are really nice. 


I started the ride in a fairly bad mood -- woke up at 5:30am, had no coffee, left my helmet at home, etc.   But by the time I left, I felt peaceful and grateful.  And my tushy didn't hurt!

No comments: