Chronicles of my insanity

Monday, February 11, 2008

Sunshine, Hunger, and Generosity














I've been incredibly focused on all of the training details lately-- with the bike fittings, my injury, the getting up extraordinarily early on weekend, and general adjustment to being super active again. I must admit that has taken quite a bit of emotional energy. There were moments when I wondered, yet again, why I signed up for this. It's not like I didn't remember how hard this was last season.

But this past weekend, I got three gentle reminders:
  1. It was a stunningly beautiful weekend in San Francisco. Mid-60's, sunny. These are they days when I am so very thankful to no longer live in Boston or NYC. I mean, it is February, for god's sake. We ran along Ocean Beach (more on this fiasco later) watching the waves crash on the shore. We hung out with terrifically nice people at a post-workout brunch, staring at lemon and orange trees in her back yard. The swim was invigorating and the bike was rolling and sweet. It was definitely good to be back!

  2. This week, the hunger returned. No, not some spooky horror film (though I often look like one after biking). My appetite has returned and I find myself hungry all the time. This is like saying to a young child, "You can eat all of the candy you want, any time, and I won't make you stop." Hooray!!

  3. On Sunday, I logged on to my computer to check how my fundraising is going. My jaw dropped to find that I have already raised over $3,100 in two weeks time. Again, I am floored by people's generosity. Truly amazing! Thanks to all of you who have donated! Even though I've come this far, there's so much more work to be done to cure these cancers. So I hope that I can EXCEED my fundraising goal. Wouldn't that be amazing?!



No comments: