Chronicles of my insanity

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Tri-ku - do you?

I recently attended a digital storytelling workshop at KQED. As part of the 2.5 day workshop, we created a personal multimedia story. (Thank you, Leslie!) We were to write a short script about something from our own lives.

As per my usual school days, I left the assignment to the very end. The night before, I found myself furiously scribbling on the back of an envelope in my car while waiting for Chris to finish his run with the team. With the vastly entertaining history I call my life, the topics for the script were infinite. After completely covering my envelope in scratches, I knew I had to impose some structure on this assignment before it quickly spiraled out of control.

Then it came to me. Less is more. Fewer words. In fact, 17 syllables. The beautiful, concise, sensual, and sometimes obtuse Haiku. Or rather, the Tri-Ku.

I'm sure there are some ancient Japanese poets turning over in their grave right now, perhaps even saying:

Procrastinator
Mutilates our ancient art.
Curses to your bike.

Anyhoo, Tri-ku to the rescue, I produced the following account of my last season with TnT. Without even thinking about it, I created myself a lovely little fundraising PR piece. So please enjoy (and DONATE!!)

http://www.active.com/donate/tntgsf/MelissaCheung2008

No comments: