Chronicles of my insanity

Monday, March 31, 2008

Training Weekend Goings On



This weekend, we went down to Lake San Antonio where the Wildflower race happens. As part of Team in Training, we get the opportunity to swim, bike, and run on the actual course. This make a huge difference in my training -- not so much physically, though it was a great workout, but to remind myself psychologically that I CAN do this race.

Even before our practice swim, I started to get butterflies in my stomach, which I didn't expect. And I had to talk myself down off of my usual bike ledge before we started off on the bike ride. My friend, Heidi, and I started off the ride together. She had to give me lecture or two about "mental toughness" as she calls it -- a trait which I apparently lack significantly.

BUT, it all went really well. The swim was great fun (the water was a balmy 62 degrees compared to 49.1 at aquatic park). The bike was gorgeous. I forgot how beautiful it is out there -- or perhaps I never really paid attention because I was so freaked out last year. And the run was actually great. I found my group of ladies to run with and we had a great time.

I also really had a great time getting to know folks on the team, especially in Chris' mentor group. They are a delightful and really interesting group of people. Something about sitting around the campfire and making s'mores that brings out the best in people.

I also learned that my friend and Todd, who is one of our honorees, is officially in remission! Amazing news to end a great weekend.

No comments: